Countless men of color perpetually battle against perceived educational inferiority, racial bias/profiling both on and off campus, social media attacks and pervasive negative racial stereotyping. As college campuses become more diverse, inclusion and equity are paramount to the success of all students. Ensure that your institution provides strategies and programs that make men of color feel valued, safe, a sense of belonging and supported throughout their educational experience.
This webinar is your opportunity to gather your colleagues across campus and engage in a valuable discussion about how you can support and serve your men of color. Join our expert presenters, and in just 90 minutes, you and your staff will be able to increase the satisfaction and success of your male students of color through engagement and retention efforts that meet their unique needs.
Join our expert presenters as they discuss these challenges and others relating to working with students of color, best practices and their personal experiences.
J. Malcolm Smith currently serves as Associate Vice President, Dean of Student & Title IX Coordinator for Salve Regina University in Newport, Rhode Island. (Click here for full bio)
Dr. Ryan C. Holmes currently serves at the Assistant Vice President for Student Support at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP). (Click here for full bio)
As a result of this webinar, you will be able to:
- Create a culturally competent and responsive campus community for all of your students of color- ensure they feel valued, safe, a sense of belonging and supported.
- Develop a framework and schema to proactively address local, state, national and global incidents that have impact on your campus – avoid unnecessary conflict and miscommunication!
- Form partnerships you can foster for additional assistance in educating and changing student/faculty/staff behavior – understand the effects of racial profiling – real or perceived- to be inclusive and decrease marginalization of these students.
- Provide opportunity to understand the differences of men of color and incorporate the appropriate structure necessary for them to be successful, satisfied and persist on your campus.
- Facilitate critical conversations with key stakeholders on your campus to make resources available to assist men of color in developing self-reliance and social group support.
What You Get:
Convenient Access to the 90-minute Live Event:
Thursday, June 8, 2017 | 2-3:30 PM ET
Webinars are handled like a large interactive conference call, but in a more controlled, radio-program-like environment. Simply copy/paste the link* into your browser, log in, turn up the volume on your computer and follow along! Gather your staff around your conference table’s computer — then sit back, listen and watch the presentations and join the lively Q&A session.
*The link and login information will be available in a PDF download immediately following check out.
Event Recording & Materials on CD:
You'll receive two multimedia discs* containing the full audio presentation, PowerPoint and handouts provided by the presenter(s) and recording of the question and answer session facilitated during the live event. Add the webinar recording to your professional library for use in future campus training and development initiatives.
*CDs will arrive 7-10 business days after the live event date.
Certificate of Completion for Each Participant:
After attending this webinar, each participant will receive a printed certificate of completion.
Invite your entire staff to participate for this one low price! (one location)
Order includes the event recording and all materials on CD.
Can't make the live event date? Click here to order the CD only.
Campus License Option:
Click here to purchase this webinar with one-year unlimited distribution and use on your institution's internal network/server.